Á la Bibliothéque du Château de Groussay. Built in 1815, The private library of the Château de Groussay is located in Montfort-l’Amaury, France. The Château was by the duchesse de Charest, a daughter of Louise Elisabeth de Croÿ-Havré, marquise de Tourzel, the governess of the royal enfants de France of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.
The Codrington Library, All Souls College, Oxford, United Kingdom. The Codrington Library is a private, reference only library at All Souls College, Oxford. Sir William Blackstone was a fellow, and the library bears his imprimatur. Built with a bequest from Christopher Codrington, Blackstone oversaw its completion in 1756. Its archival holdings are vast, with especially rich holdings in law, legal history, incunabula, and association copies of Blackstone’s works. The Amesbury Psalter has pride of place in its collection of codices and early manuscripts. All Souls also possesses the largest number of incunabula of any college, including the Nuremberg Chronicle, of which 18 copies are extant at the university.
The Bibliothèque Mazarine. The Bibliothèque Mazarine, which in 1945 was joined to the Institut de France, located since 1805 in the Collège des Quatre-Nations, is dependent on the French Ministry of Education. The Bibliothèque Mazarine’s reading room, restored between 1968 and 1974, recreates the surroundings of an important XVIIth century library and, over three hundred and fifty years after its foundation, remains an institution accessible to all, to the merely curious or the learned, nationals and foreigners. (photos by Remi Mathis)
Admont Library, Austria. Since its foundation in 1074, i.e. since almost one thousand years, Admont Benedictine Monastery has collected and preserved cultural goods. In this respect the library has a special position.
This library is one of the most important cultural properties of our country and is one of the largest late Baroque works of art in Europe. Perhaps a little overenthusiastically but at the same quite justifiably, since the early 19th century the Admont library has been called the “eighth wonder of the world”. It represents a repository of knowledge containing examples of the artistic and historical development of books over the centuries - from the manuscripts of the medieval Admont writing school over the collection of incunabula (early printed books) to the fully developed printing process.
As a work of art, the library should be viewed as a whole in which the various genres (architecture, frescoes, sculptures, written and printed matter) blend into one work - in the final analysis, the central place of books in the history of the development of the Benedictine Order. (via ognipensierovo)